Thursday, May 21, 2015

"Paradox and Dream" Reflection

"Paradox and Dream" Reflection
John Z.
5/21/2015


Paradox: "Fortunes are spent getting cats out of trees and dogs out of sewer pipes; but a girl screaming for help in the street draws only slammed doors, closed windows, and silence.

The first paradox is basically stating that an human life is just as important as a animal life. John Steinbeck is saying when it comes to cats and dogs there is not a maniac going after them so we have no problem saving them because they don't endanger a life as much. When humans are getting killed or greatly harmed people won't help because of what they think would happen to them if they stepped in. People are afraid to save another human life but an animal's life they no problem saving at all. 


My thoughts on this is that even though you might get harmed or killed it is still important to save another human life. Sure its great saving a cat's or a dog's life when they're either stuck in a tree or a sewer pipe, but another living being who is getting killed or assaulted is important too. It's not good to just be a bystander thanking God that that's not them getting harmed. A think a big part of life is willing to step up and help not just look.


Paradox: "We are self-reliant and at the same time completely dependent."

The second paradox is about thinking you got everything under control but in reality you need those special people by your side at all times. People think they are self-made/"Self-Reliant" and can handle all that is thrown at them but they are always going to have a hard time without people taking care of them. There are people who live alone who are like this, who don't rely on other people, they might be successful but maybe don't feel like they are complete. They most of the time have a hard time going through life and without maybe things like health insurance and think they can cover it when they are only in college.


My connection to this is when I was ten and wanted to stay home alone. I thought I was really grown up and ready to be on my own but my parents disagreed. I really didn't see why, until a few years later. I was mature and smarter and understood more things about the world and trusting ten year olds with a house doesn't seem like the smartest thing in the world. Well now I do stay on my own from time to time now that I can do some things on my own

No comments:

Post a Comment