Friday, October 9, 2015

"Rotten Underneath" - Life Lines Poem

John Zalazinski
10/9/2015


The teachers
could punish us for almost
any reason.

So my father started talking
about America, where
every one had a future.

We were extremely fortune to be in school district 200,
with outstanding teachers.

But what's sweet on the surface
is often rotten underneath.

Mulu's classmates drew
skeletons on her locker and even
serenaded her with the popular
famine fundraising song.

I rarely saw my brother tremble,                                        
but he trembled with Jake's threat.

Mbago disliked me
because I was
poor and looked it, he was
ashamed to be African with
me.

They had grown up in a wealthy
American suburb, and we had grown up
in a Sudanese refugee camp.

We heard frenzied knocking on our door,
like our brothers in Africa we were making war,
not peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment